Sunday, March 9, 2008

Things We Learned Today

We went to Temple Baptist Church again today. The pastor officially resigned so one of the head guys from the North American Baptist Association preached today. He is a church planter also, and this is what we learned:

1. 85% of the churches in Canada are in decline. (remember Canada has an evangelical population of 4-8%)

2. 14% of the churches are growing from transfer growth - meaning they are not reaching un-churched people.

3. 1% of the churches in Canada are growing through conversion growth. Only one percent of our churches are reaching the unchurched. Does anybody see a problem with that?

Today, we took Rick and Margaret out for lunch. Many of you are praying for Rick and his daughter to reconcile. Rick and Margaret gave their lives to the Lord earlier in February. As we were talking with our waitress, Melissa, we found out that she has been living with her boyfriend for 4 years and are looking at buying their first house. I asked if I could pray for them to find a new house. Her exact words were, "Praying isn't my thing, but if you want to go ahead. Actually, what am I supposed to do when I pray?" I bet Melissa isn't even 25 and she is totally unchurched. We talked for a bit and I saw her outside later as she was on her smoke break, and she thanked me for praying for them. Please pray that we can start a trust relationship with Melissa and her boyfriend.

1 comment:

Oliver said...

I just wanted to tell you I stumbled upon your blog a couple days ago while researching churches in the Hat.

In fact, my wife and I are exploring a calling to plant a church and one place that had caught our eye was Medicine Hat.

I don't know a lot about the spiritual scene down there, or how much need there really is for new churches, but God bless you guys in your work. I'll keep reading your blog and see how you guys do. Count us another couple of prayer partners for God to bring new life in the Spirit to Medicine Hat!