Friday, May 2, 2008

Dwight, Brooks, Medcine Hat and Elk Water

We had a great time with Dwight yesterday. We prayer walked my community - The Flats, Crescent Heights, and Elk Water. On our way to Elk Water I was telling Dwight that there are a few thousand Sudanese in Brooks. Most of them work at the meat packing plant. He knew of the Sudanese community in Brooks and wants to help me get a Swahili Bible Study going - I don't even speak Swahili! Tim G. is on Dwight's staff, and he was IMB in Africa for many many years, and speaks Swahili fluently. He has some contacts in Brooks where I may be able to start a Bible study. I can start it with his help and facilitate as we pray for a Swahili pastor. So please pray for that situation.

We went to Elk Water, and the wild turkey's were out. Dwight was out there calling the wild turkeys and having them strut by the car. They were huge birds. There are well over 250 houses in Elk Water, but only 40 people that live there year round since it is a cottage community inside Cypress Hills Inter provincial Park; however the amount of full time residents doubled this year from just over 20 last year. Grangerland First Baptist Church from Grangerland, TX has adopted Elk Water and wants to serve the community the way West Rome Baptist Church has served Medicine Hat for the past four years.

I have one more semester left before I graduate - only 3 classes. The cool thing is they are all freshman classes too, so I can take them at Medicine Hat College next semester. I was away from my degree plan for over 3 years so it changed on me, for the better. When I started my degree, it was not accredidated, but now it is. There is no official Baptist work at Medicine Hat College, so as a student I have full rights to start something there. Dwight told me there may be funding availble for me through the Convention if I started a Baptist work in the College.

I just want to thank Dwight and the CCSB for the tangilbe gift they gave us yesterday.

No comments: