Monday, May 5, 2008

Till That Soil

I rented a rototiller this morning from Home Depot and began to till our garden. Our garden was full of weeds and was as hard as rock, plus I pulled up some huge river rock from deep in the garden. I'm talking about 70 lb rock that the frost heaved up high enough for our rented rototiller to jump around on.

We have a fair sized garden, it took me almost 4 hours to rototill the thing. As I was tilling this ground the parable of the sower came into my head, and I couldn't help but to look at how these tines from the tiller would scrape away at this tough soil and break it up and I realized two things.

The first thing was that I have to let God till my heart, and a lot of times that is painful. Just think about getting run over by a rototiller - not fun at all. The second thing that came to my mind had to do with church planting.

I need to be asking the Holy Spirit to continually be tilling the hearts of the people in Medicine Hat. This isn't a long process, but it is a hard process getting the land ready for planting some good seed. Then God waters it and grows it and soon we will have a harvest. (I hope)

After I finished tilling the garden, I walked through it and sunk ankle deep into nice soft black soil. We will start planting our garden next week. Our neighbour behind us used our garden for a few years and says he has pulled out potatoes the size of ball caps.

I also got a call from Temple Baptist Church today and will be preaching the Mother's Day service this Sunday for them. The worship Pastor, Mike Deibert, also wouldn't mind if people from his church came and helped us in our church plant because he wants to see the Kingdom grow in Medicine Hat.

No comments: