Sunday, December 9, 2007

Thoughts on Scripture

Psalm 9:11-12 "Sing praises to the LORD, who sits enthroned in Zion! Tell among the peoples his deeds! For he who avenges blood is mindful of them; he does not forget the cry of the afflicted."

In two hours I have the awesome privilege of going to church, and I am embarrassingly curious at how many times I have gone to church and mumbled praises to my Lord and my God. How can I, as a child of His mumble praises to Him after all that He has done for me and my family? NO! Not this morning, this morning God will hear my praises, clearly - maybe a little tone deaf - but clearly!

Busyness, I believe, is a trap from the devil himself. I work 40 hours per week, and go to seminary, and live on the holy hill - separated from our community. I hate being separated from pre-Christians. I have a fire in my bones, much like Jeremiah the prophet did. I need to tell among the people what God has done for me and for them! I need to tell them they have an avenger - King Jesus! I need to tell them that sin killed them, but Jesus wants to give them new life! He is our avenger, and He is mindful of them.

You may be afflicted right now, by abuse, disease, poverty, or lack of love, but know this: God will not forget you if you cry out to Him. What better news can you get than the King of the universe is mindful of you? If you are reading this and you do not have a relationship with Jesus, the Lover of your soul, you need to know that no matter what you've done, or what's been done to you, there is One who wants to be your avenger. You are precious in His sight. He wants to give you a new life. If you want this new life, there is a small part you need to do.

1. Repent. This literally means to change your mind, do a 180 degree turn in your lifestyle - you were walking in the way of sin, now walk in the way of Jesus.

2. Let Jesus know right now that you want to belong to Him. This means that you want to live for Him by loving Him and doing what He commands, and His commands fall into 2 categories
a. Love God
b. Love people.

No comments: