Monday, July 14, 2008

God Moment Today?

Since we have been here in The Hat we have started 3 Bible Studies and all three have collapsed. After reviewing everything we were doing we noticed that all three Bible Studies included people from the the same demographic - they were all in poverty, all uneducated (less than grade 12 education), and all living off the government.

Today I was praying while Leigh took the boys to VBS at Temple Baptist Church and was asking God to start building HIS Church because I don't know what to do anymore. Later this afternoon I told Leigh that I think we should take the kids to the park and on the way to the park I asked her if she thought that we should gear our ministry towards families with special needs children.

Here's my reasoning for this:
1. In NAMB's On Mission journal/magazine last quarter it showed that families with special needs children are the biggest unreached people group in North America today

2. We have 2 special needs children

3. Leigh has made friends with one of Riley's schoolmate's mother who is not a believer and she was asking what VBS was all about. Her son is autistic and is Riley's best friend and may end up going to VBS this week.

Leigh thought that was the way to go also.

At the park there were 4 people. 2 Adult ladies and 2 teenagers with special needs. The two ladies were talking and I didn't want to interrupt them, and then I heard them call to the two boys that it was time to go meet up with the others. That's when I flagged them down and asked if they worked with these special needs children or if they were their own. Both of them are their own and one of the ladies is also a worker. One of them is a Believer and goes to Hillcrest church here in Medicine Hat. We talked for about 10 minutes and they told us all about the different programs and support groups available. As a matter of fact they invited our family to the ball game tonight, they have 4 extra tickets!

We hit it off pretty well and they meet at the Tim Horton's by my house everyday around 4:00 pm, and every Monday night at Kin Coulee park during the summer.

Reading this right off the bat - it seems to me that God is in this, but I have thought that before and seen it collapse. Will you please be in prayer with us over this matter.

No comments: