Monday, July 21, 2008

Humbling

I know me. I know that I have messed up a lot in my life and I know that I am far from perfection. I also know that I serve a God who knows me better than I know myself and still chooses to use me. That is grace, as a matter of fact, that is amazing grace.

I am preaching my way through the Sermon on the Mount in a 10 week series I have titled The Laws of the Kingdom. I never thought that God would use me in this way - as temporary pulpit supply for a church in a different Baptist Denomination than my own in order to bring about a spiritual renewal in a lethargic church.
This past Sunday the worship team did an amazing job in leading the people of Christ into worship. It was the first time since we started attending the church in February that I have seen the whole congregation sing and not just mouth words.

I am trying to be very careful now especially as I write this because I am terrified of touching God's glory, and by no means am I trying to share His glory, I am just His servant whom He is using right now. I have had many people talk with me over the past month on how God has been using the sermons I have been preaching to change their lives. 2 weeks ago I preached on MT 5:17-48 and called it the Law of Relationships and it was about how God wants Christians to do relationships His way. After that I had some people ask where they could get a copy of the sermon. Then this past Sunday I had a lady come up to me after the service and tell me what the sermons I was preaching was doing to her life. She quit her job because she was not able to honor Christ there since they wanted her to continue to lie. On top of that, her and her husband are letting a needy family move in with them because they know that is what a Christian will do. The funny thing is I never told people to quit their jobs or let needy people in, this is the work of the Holy Spirit.

Leigh worked VBS at the same church last week and what happened there could not have been a coincidence. If you have been reading the blog for a while you may remember the prayer cards that I had made up. Well, Leigh was working with the boss of the lady who I gave my first prayer card to. I met her in February at a stationary store that she works at and did not know that she goes to Temple Baptist Church where I am doing pulpit supply. Well the boss told Leigh that her life has changed dramatically since I came in and prayed with her.

On top of that I just got word that we are about to get a large sum of money from NAMB for church start-up costs which is a huge blessing also. It will help us pay for our first 6 months rent, get a new sound system, a new Apple Laptop computer, a keyboard and an electronic drum set.

I never knew when we said yes to God over one year ago that He had all of this planned for us. It is so true that you will never know what God has in store for you until you step out in faith; it is only after you step out in faith that God starts supplying.

No comments: